[Met_help] Several questions about MET

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Thu Jun 19 11:02:23 MDT 2008

Jan,

It looks like you only sent me the sample_fcst_12L_2005080712V_12A.nc file.  But I do see a problem in there.

While the header information looks fine, the precip variable just contains zero data.  This actually reminds me of the issues I'm having getting MET to run on an IBM.

I probably should have asked you this first, but what type of machine are you running MET on?  Do you know if it it Big or Little Endian?  In trying to get MET to run on an IBM here, I'm seeing
similar behavior.  The IBM is Big Endian, and I believe that MET isn't properly accounting for that.  We're working to get MET to run on the IBM for the next release (METv1.1).  Those changes may be
applicable to you as well.

If your machine is Big Endian, at this point, I'm not optimistic about getting METv1.0 to run well on it.  But we could try getting METv1.1 to work on it.  That version should be released in the next
month or so.

Please let me know if you're able to determine the Endian-ness of your machine.  I believe the problem resides in PCP-Combine rather than Grid-Stat.  PCP-Combine isn't properly reading the input GRIB
data and writing the NetCDF files.