[Met_help] Re: MET FEEDBACK from Bob Pasken

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Thu Jul 31 10:44:48 MDT 2008

Bob,

MET has not been ported to Solaris yet.  I believe that yours is the first question we've received about it.

I'm told that the include files aren't set up the same way on Solaris as they are on most Linux distributions.  You'll likely need to add some more include files in some of the MET source files to get
it to build.

Unfortunately, we don't have any Solaris machines available on which we could test.  If you'd like to get MET to build on Solaris, I'd start with modifying the include files.  And I would suggest
sticking with the GNU compilers you started with.

So for this first compiler error from the file, lib/vx_wrfdata/vx_wrfdata.cc, it can't find the function "open".  Take a look in the "man" pages on your machine to see where "open" is defined:
man 2 open

The man page should list the header files that need to be included for "open".  Then include those header files in the lib/vx_wrfdata/vx_wrfdata.cc file.  And try recompiling MET.

Getting MET up and running on Solaris may take some effort.  But we're happy to help along the way.  And if you do get it built, we could include your fixes in future releases of MET.

Thanks,
John Halley-Gotway
johnhg at ucar.edu