[Met_help] Precip observations in MET

Victor Homar victor.homar at uib.cat
Tue Jan 22 07:06:44 MST 2008

Dear Srs,

We are trying to use MET V1.0 to verify simulations of severe weather in
the western Mediterranean. Observations are given by various regional
met services in ASCII format.

Since we do not have our reports in BUFR, and following the User's
Guide, we are trying to convert the 24h-precip reports to a netcdf
intermediate file, as described in page 3-10 of the User's Guide. To do
so, we are using R's package ncdf but do not succeed in creating the new
file. A report in our database consists of: {Lat, Lon, Hgt, Date, Obs.
precip}.

Is there any simple way to incorporate these data to the MET suite? It
is troubling to fill fields such as: "Vertical level", "Pressure level"
or "Reason code" from our 24h acc. precip reports. Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

Lorena and Víctor.

Víctor Homar Santaner
Grup de Meteorologia

Edif. Mateu Orfila                      Tel: +34 971 17 1376
Universitat de les Illes Balears        Fax: +34 971 17 3426
07122 Palma de Mallorca (SPAIN)         Email: Victor.Homar at uib.es

              Knowledge is contagious. Infect truth.