[Met_help] Precip observations in MET

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Jan 22 11:22:46 MST 2008

Lorena and Victor,

This question has come up a lot.  We'd like to figure out an easy way for users to incorporate ASCII observations into MET.  I'm wondering if you'd be willing to work with me on developing a
conversion tool that takes ASCII observations in a format similar to the one you've described and reformat them into the NetCDF format that Point-Stat expects?

So I'm wondering, if I was to provide you with some code for doing this, would you be willing to test it out on your system and let me know how things go?

Hopefully we could figure out a solution and include it in the next release of MET.

If you'd be willing to work with you on this, could you please send me a couple of your forecast files and corresponding sets of ASCII observations? I'll use them to test out the code I write before
sending it to you.  Otherwise, if you'd like to do it yourself, I could provide you with some more info on how to do it.

Thanks and please let me know,
John Halley Gotway