[Met_help] Re: Re: MET-related white papers?

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Jan 21 15:56:23 MST 2008

Jan,

OK, I understand.

They do actually relate somewhat to what's in MET.  These are a few of the
things that Randy Bullock, a senior software engineer at NCAR, has written
up about his work.

Specifically, moments.pdf and gc_simple.pdf relate to the MODE tool, while
config_doc.pdf relates to all of the MET tools that use configuration
files.

The first and higher moments described in moments.pdf are used by MODE for
defining the centroid, axis angle, and complexity of objects.  In
gc_simple.pdf, Randy explains great circle arcs and distances.  In MODE,
we can use great circles to plot the polyline outline of an object.  So
there's a minor relationship there.

config_doc.pdf details the configuration file language that Randy wrote
and is used by the MET tool for parsing configuration files.

This info will most likely not be of interest to the casual MET user.  But
if you'd like to get deeper into the code and understand how object
attributes are computed in MODE or what is possible to encode in the
configuration file, they may be helpful.

Thank you for your feedback.  I think it would be a good idea for me to
include on the website a short explanation of how each of these write-ups
relates to MET.