[Met_help] Re: METv1.0 running

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Feb 4 11:43:22 MST 2008

D Srinivas,

The error is another complaint from the compiler about NetCDF.  It's looking in NETCDF_INCS (set to /usr/local/netcdf/include) for the file netcdf.hh, but can't find it.  It may be the case that when
NetCDF was built on your system, the C++ interface wasn't installed.

Here's something to try:
cd /usr/local/netcdf
find ./ -name "netcdf.hh"

If that "netcdf.hh" file is found, just add that directory to the NETCDF_INCS definition.
For example: NETCDF_INCS  = -I$(NETCDF_BASE)/include -I/new/path/to/netcdf.hh

If that "netcdf.hh" file is NOT found, then your installation of NetCDF isn't compatible with MET.  You'll need to reinstall NetCDF with the C++ interface.  You could either have your system
administrator do that for you, or you could install it yourself locally.  If you install it locally, then you'll need to redefine the variables, NETCDF_INCS and NETCDF_LIBS in your Makefile to point
to the directories which contain the header files (netcdf.h and netcdf.hh) and the library files (libnetcdf.a and libnetcdf_c++.a).

If you'd like to install it locally, you can download NetCDF from: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/
And be sure to download version 3 rather than version 4.  MET doesn't support version 4.  In the top-level NetCDF directory, read the file "INSTALL" for directions.

I use commands similar to the following to install NetCDF:
cd /insert/your/path/here/netcdf-3.6.2
./configure --prefix=/insert/your/path/here/netcdf-3.6.2
./make check
./make install