[Met_help] ERROR: read_pds() -> unexpected time range indicator of 10

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Oct 1 10:08:38 MDT 2007

Jeff,

Sure, I'd be happy to send along that fix for the PDS time range indicator of 10 once I straighten it out.  And please let us know of any error messages you encounter or warning messages that don't
make sense.  It's going to take a while to work out all the bugs and issues in taking the code we've used internally on our datasets and generalizing it to work in the broader community.  So we're
definitely looking for feedback.

I was very surprised to see that you received a copy of the met_help email.  So we checked into it and realized that we'd unintentionally added you as someone who would get a copy of every message!
Sorry for cluttering your inbox with all this junk!  We've now removed you from that list.  We're trying to decide how to manage the archive of met_help questions in the future.  We could potentially
make them available as a searchable archive list via the MET website.  As a user, do you have any suggestions?

Jeff Zielonka wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I actually had this problem too, but I figured it was an issue with the
> way we created our GRIB files.  If you find a solution that works, can
> you send me the patch as well so I can keep our GRIB conversion software
> the way it was before I started making modifications?  Thanks.
> - Jeff Zielonka
>
> John Halley Gotway wrote:
>> Luke,
>>
>> Your data uses a setting in Grib that we hadn't anticipated in the
>> beta version.  The fix should involve just adding a few lines of code
>> to one of the library files.
>>
>> Would you be able to send me that Grib file you're using
>> (/fuelberg/r0/lpeffers/WRFV2/run/postprd/WRFPRS_d01.06.01.grb) as well
>> as the NetCDF obs file
>> (/fuelberg/r0/lpeffers/MET_9/METv0.9/data/PREPBEFR_DATA/OBS_00.nc)?
>> I'd like to make sure that the change I make really does fix the
>> problem.  Once I'm sure of that, I'll send you an updated patch
>> file with instructions for how to update your version of MET.  And
>> I'll make sure the fix makes its way into subsequent versions of MET.
>>
>> If those 2 files are too large to send via email, you could post it on
>> our anonymous FTP site:
>> cp /fuelberg/r0/lpeffers/WRFV2/run/postprd/WRFPRS_d01.06.01.grb
>> WRFPRS_d01.06.01.grb
>> cp /fuelberg/r0/lpeffers/MET_9/METv0.9/data/PREPBEFR_DATA/OBS_00.nc
>> OBS_00.nc
>> ftp ftp.rap.ucar.edu
>> Username = anonymous
>> Password = "you email address"
>> cd incoming/irap/johnhg
>> bin
>> put WRFPRS_d01.06.01.grb
>> put OBS_00.nc
>> bye

>> Luke Peffers wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, I have made it to the point where I can now try using the
>>> point_stat
>>> tool.  I didn't make it very far however.  I received this error (ERROR:
>>> read_pds() -> unexpected time range indicator of 10) when I entered the