[Grad-postdoc-assn] This week at CIRTL: Academic cover letters, self-care, and research mentoring

Valerie Sloan vsloan at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 16 10:15:49 MST 2024

Good morning,

Here are some events of possible interest to you.
Note that CIRTL expects the session on self-care and rest to fill up in one
to two days. If you're interested, register soon.

Stay warm,
Val

View this email on the web
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/es?s=1427524768&e=1500286&elqTrackId=51e861781d16471282f1c296cabd15a9&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>

This week spring programming starts with an online event on writing
academic cover letters on Thursday. Today, registration opens for two more
spring offerings - a workshop on caring for yourself as an instructor, and
a 5-week seminar on research mentor training; both have limited capacity
and will fill up quickly, so sign up early for a chance to take part.

Read more about this week's highlights below, and see a full list of spring
programming
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=81342&elqTrackId=C28F66433BC49E2CA827DC8C8E6EDD5B&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>
on our website.

Thursday, Jan. 18 | Writing Your Cover Letter for the Academic Job Market
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=81737&elqTrackId=C2C36D6B36373C18F46834E4A3676861&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>
Get an introduction to the academic cover letter: learn the basic structure
of an academic cover letter, how to tailor it to your target institution,
and how to include the information that will make you a compelling
candidate.

This is the first event in our eight-part series "The Joyful Journey
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=81317&elqTrackId=34EE19D7F7CD79D1CF1454694BD8826B&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>"
- come back for more professional development throughout the spring term!
*Register*
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=81868&elqTrackId=66A75C475DBE6AAD078717691C8AB0AC&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>
Thursday, Feb. 8 | Caring for Yourself as an Instructor: Applying Rest in
the Classroom
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=80240&elqTrackId=1D19F448DC80013E3FFD24599ECB1626&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>
Develop strategies for self-care as an instructor in this *one-part
workshop*. Working off of Tricia Hersey’s (2022) Rest is Resistance
framework, participants will explore Hersey’s “Rest” component to identify
tools for self-care, rest, and protection as an instructor existing and
working in academic spaces.

Cap: 15. *Registration opens Tuesday, January 16* at 11am Central Time and
closes when capacity is reached; given the popularity of this topic, we
expect registration to close within 1-2 days.
*Register*
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=81865&elqTrackId=0D496A947B6B238D1A7D6155A5AE79BA&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>
Wednesday, Feb. 21 to March 27 | Research Mentor Training
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=81872&elqTrackId=674DED895B27616C914DCA2EB592ADFB&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>
Work with a community of peers to develop and improve your research
mentoring skills in this* 5-week seminar-style course*. Students will
develop their personal mentoring philosophy, learn how to articulate that
philosophy across a variety of disciplines, and refine strategies for
dealing with mentoring challenges.

Cap: 20. *Registration opens Tuesday, January 16* at 11am Central Time and
closes when capacity is reached; given the popularity of this topic, we
expect registration to close within 1-2 days.
*Register*
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=81871&elqTrackId=BFBD0AC54A795EB2901482DE87DD0AA3&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>

Wednesdays, Jan. 31 - Mar. 6 | University of Colorado Center for Teaching
and Learning Book Club: "Robot-Proof: Higher Education in the Age of
Artificial Intelligence"
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=65934&elqTrackId=FBF96162B2E88C1DC746DA8C8D5FBE67&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>
Join this University of Colorado Boulder teaching and learning book club to
read and discuss *Robot-Proof: Higher Education in the Age of Artificial
Intelligence*
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=78792&elqTrackId=A2B4C10C44A1AB8E51FC14A3BA7256DB&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>.
Discussions
will center around the text as well as ways we can apply this understanding
in our own classrooms and university lives. This book club meets online in
Zoom and is open to participants from other CIRTL Network institutions.
*Register*
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=80248&elqTrackId=FAE703203D60906D01ADA8A5AC5FEEB6&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>
Fridays, Mar. 1 - Apr. 12 | Columbia University's Center for Teaching and
Learning "Wowza!" Discussion Series
Are you interested in the cutting edge research on teaching and learning
and how to apply this research to your teaching practice? Join Columbia
University CIRTL Fellows for our "Wowza!" Discussion Series, where we take
a closer look at educational literature and resources. Each session, we’ll
look at one intriguing idea in educational research and focus on how we can
use it to inform our own teaching practices.

The discussion series is designed for graduate students and postdocs, and
it will be held online via Zoom from 10:00am–11:00am EST on Fridays 3/1,
3/22, and 4/12.
*Register*
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=81346&elqTrackId=A094EF512D983EF7837318CD59258F22&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>

<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=80250&elqTrackId=BC6FE50D1BC159B73C80FA3B92619625&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>

The Institute of Diversity Sciences Program Manager – University of
Massachusetts Amherst
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=81345&elqTrackId=0FBB139FBC635B778855CD315BA9C7D5&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>

Instructional Consultant for Technology-Informed Pedagogy – University of
Michigan
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=81344&elqTrackId=66F2486FC5673DCEB13BAC2314531430&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>

The Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
Network is a network of 43 universities in the US and Canada committed to
advancing inclusive, evidence-based Science, Technology, Engineering, and
Math (STEM) education. We are committed to advancing the teaching of STEM
disciplines in higher education. CIRTL has been generously supported by the
National Science Foundation, the Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation,
the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, and the Wisconsin Center for Education
Research of the University of Wisconsin-Madison. For more information about
the CIRTL Network, visit us online at  www.cirtl.net
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=5633&elqTrackId=E2AFF98D42FD34423E44CC03662A425E&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>
or contact us at info at cirtl.net.
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=12024&elqTrackId=1adb5e70abfa4f6ca459563984072c6a&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=12023&elqTrackId=5397e0076b61478fa8e4542b55120d96&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=11957&elqTrackId=05bb67d24be244379285c31437ee302c&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>

<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/er?s=1427524768&lid=12022&elqTrackId=ee4b81feabc14de69977c9a9a4dd40d9&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1>

*Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning*
<https://www.cirtl.net?elqTrackId=53c013872a774a938ad092079d005cb3&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=32286>
<https://app.explore.wisc.edu/e/cu?s=1427524768&elqc=711&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289>
| Privacy Policy
<https://www.wisc.edu/privacy-notice/?elqTrackId=2ffe19f398954d5ca487f1ba1b4dd6e1&elq=dded9657d53f457da3bb5b5bac602289&elqaid=44859&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=32286>
1025 W. Johnson St., Madison, WI 53706

--

Valerie Sloan, Ph.D.
Director of the GEO REU Network

& NSF NCAR Early Career Professional Development Lead*
Education, Engagement and Early-Career Development
NCAR Mesa LabRoom 180A
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307-3000
Email: vsloan at ucar.edu

*NCAR's primary funder, the National Science Foundation (NSF), requires
that non-governmental, NSF-funded organizations include "NSF" at the start
of program names.

I recognize that Boulder, Colorado, sits on the ancestral homelands and
unceded
territory of Indigenous People, including people of the Arapaho, Cheyenne,
and
<https://www.fairobserver.com/region/north_america/indigenous-peoples-native-american-history-us-canada-colonialism-news-16521/>
Ute Nations
.