[Grad-postdoc-assn] A CV feedback session

Valerie Sloan vsloan at ucar.edu
Fri Feb 19 13:45:15 MST 2021

Hello!

If you are interested in *updating your CV for academic or research
positions* and would like to see how others write their CVs, join us for a
feedback session this coming week.  (We had a good session on CVs
yesterday, and there was a request to have more time to meet in small
groups to get feedback on one's CV.)

*CV Small Group Feedback Session *

*Format*: In Zoom, we will break out into groups of three or four people
and take turns looking a CVs so as to give and get impressions.  One take
away from yesterday is that everyone had strong content, and the effort
needs to be on presenting it in a clean, organized, and effective or
impactful way.

*CV template/example*
Please see the attached 1-page example of a CV from UC Davis' Internship
and Career Center.  Use it as a guide - in terms of the order of sections,
using all capitals for headings, and having a "Research Experiences"
section that combines your employment history and research experience.
Leave out anything from high school, and only include highlights from your
undergraduate days. Consider adding sections called

   - "Technical Skills," (include programming language and your proficiency)
   - "Academic Memberships and Services" (include reviewing papers,
   committee work)
   - "Leadership Experience" (include any leadership training, organizing
   tournaments, hackathons, volunteering, coaching sports, and avoid listing
   "hobbies and interests").

*Time of session:* If you would like to come, please fill out this Doodle
Poll
<https://doodle.com/poll/9uhduwictctk37nw?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link>to
indicate your availability next week.

*Sharing your CV*

Plake any changes to your CV that you would like to, and upload in this
Survey Monkey form.  <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CV-upload>

If you have any questions, please send me an email.

Thanks!
Val

Valerie Sloan, Ph.D.
NCAR Education & Outreach