[Grad-postdoc-assn] Cover Letter feedback session

Valerie Sloan vsloan at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 23 14:47:27 MST 2021

Hello!

Please join us next week for a Cover Letter feedback session *for jobs in
academia and research* (not so much the private sector).

To participate in the cover letter workshop, please complete these 6 steps:

*1. Register for this workshop
<https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEpcu6vqjwtHNPpJXZOEAVLjkCq7tYPKpF7>.
*

*Also* *please email me to let me know so that I have your email address!*
!

*2. Find a job ad to work with. It can be a past job ad or current job ad. *

Search for jobs:
Higher Ed Jobs
<https://www.higheredjobs.com/faculty/search.cfm?JobCat=170&CatName=Geology,%20Earth%20Sciences,%20and%20Oceanography>
(Example:
results using the term 'meteorology'
<https://careers.insidehighered.com/jobs/?Keywords=meteorology#browsing>)
Chronicle for Higher Education jobs board
<https://jobs.chronicle.com/jobs/science-technology-and-mathematics/?Keywords=atmospheric#browsing>
- with keyword 'atmospheric' used (try meteorology, climate, modeling, etc.)

Here's one
<https://careers.insidehighered.com/job/2077067/assistant-professor-in-atmospheric-and-climate-science-ai-68923-/>
.

*3. Research the job and department (and faculty, and university).*
- What do they do, what focus do you see, what do they care about, do they
have grad students, what are the teaching loads of faculty there?
- How might your field of expertise fit in with what they are looking for?
Could you collaborate with anyone on faculty there?

*4. Read up on cover letters.*

Cover Letters

   1.

   Cover Letters for Academic Positions
   <https://grad.illinois.edu/sites/default/files/pdfs/academiccoverletters.pdf>
   (a 2-page doc with tips + 2 examples)
   2.

   How to Write a Successful Cover Letter
   <https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2020/01/22/dos-and-donts-writing-cover-letter-academic-job-market-opinion>
   (Inside Higher Ed, Jan. 22, 2020)
   3.

   The Professor Is In: Why Your Job Cover Letter Sucks and What You Can Do
   To Fix It
   <https://theprofessorisin.com/2016/08/26/why-your-job-cover-letter-sucks/>
   4.

   See slides 6+ onward in the attached PPT file

*5. Write a cover letter for the job that you picked. *

*6. Upload your cover letter and the job ad (with your name in the
filenames) before the workshop, on March 1st.*
Upload your files here.
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Cover-letter-workshop>

Tip: set up Job Alerts:
Create a job alert on these websites, and see what comes into your mailbox.
Create a job alert at Inside Higher Ed
<https://careers.insidehighered.com/newalert/>
Set up job alerts at the Chronicle for Higher Education website
<https://jobs.chronicle.com/newalert/>

Have a good evening!

Val

Valerie Sloan, Ph.D.