[Go-essp-tech] [Ncpp_tech] Close to final proposal for global attributes for downscaled datasets

Seth McGinnis mcginnis at ucar.edu
Fri Apr 5 14:04:04 MDT 2013

Hi all,

I've been asked only recently to join the NCPP discussion, so my apologies if
any of this has already been covered.

I've had a look at the proposed global attribute table for CORDEX, and based on
our experience with NARCCAP, I have two recommendations to make:

1) Add a "version" attribute.

There will be errors in output production, and data producers will end up
creating multiple versions of the same model output files.  The tracking_id
attribute would cover this issue to some extent, but a version number can carry
more useful information.  If versions allow for major and minor versions, where
the minor version is incremented when metadata or ancillary data is corrected
and the major version is incremented when the data in the main data variable
changes, then it's easy to compare two files and see not just whether they're
different, but whether those differences matter.

For example, suppose I have u-wind and v-wind, and I want to calculate wind
speed.  If u-wind is version 1.2 and v-wind is version 1.4 (say because some
typos were corrected in the metadata), I know that the data in both files
matches, and that if I'm going to copy metadata from an input file, I should
use the v-wind file, not the u-wind file. But if u-wind is version 2.0 (say
because a month of bad data was filled in between v1 and v2), then I know I
probably need to check whether v-wind has an update as well.

It's also important to document the differences between versions, but I'm not
sure that file metadata is the right place to do that.  I'm also not sure
whether version should replace tracking_id or supplement it.  I lean towards
replace, just because tracking_id is likely to not be updated every time it
ought to be, and version will be more stable against those kinds of changes,
but I don't know what all uses are planned for tracking_id.

2) Don't use capital letters in the attribute names.

The difference between "Experiment_ID", "experiment_ID" and "experiment_id"
will become completely invisible to your eye when you're looking at the file
headers trying to figure out why the checker says you don't have a valid
experiment_ID attribute when you can plainly see that experiment_id is set to
"historical", and it will cause a lot of avoidable frustration and headache.

At the very least, we should make capitalization follow a consistent pattern
from attribute to attribute, but I favor no capitalization at all because
that's the pattern that's easiest to explain and remember and therefore will be
applied most consistently.

Otherwise, I think it all looks pretty good.

Cheers,

--Seth