[Go-essp-tech] Close to final proposal for global attributes for downscaled datasets

galina galina at rap.ucar.edu
Thu Apr 4 18:06:56 MDT 2013

Dear all,

After our teleconference on 03/20 and the email exchange, suggestions
and questions posed by Karl Taylor, Laura Carriere and Martin Juckes,
there was a need to prepare a final proposal for the set of global
attributes to be used when publishing statistically downscaled data in
ESGF.

In order to standardize the elements of the DRS for publishing
downscaled datasets Joe Barsugli and Galia Guentchev evaluated the
global attributes used by CORDEX, the additions/corrections proposed by
Karl Taylor and the initially proposed global attributes for publishing
of downscaled datasets. We prepared a divergence table that summarizes
all of these details. The table is attached to this email.  The last
column contains a Final proposal of the global attributes for
consideration. At the bottom of this table we also added some NEW global
attributes that we consider important for inclusion.

The differences from the proposal we discussed and agreed on during the
last teleconference (03/20) stem from the desire for standardization and
consistency as much as possible with CORDEX and to an extent with the
CMIP5 DRS requirements.

The main difference is in the approach to use the standard global
attributes such as experiment_ID, model_ID when describing the
downscaling characteristics (experiment, and statistical or dynamical
downscaling model); the main reasoning for using model_ID being that
users would look for all data most often under model_ID and this is
where we would like for them to be able to find  also all of the
downscaled data listed. To describe the global attributes pertaining to
the global model that was used as a predictor or a driving model (in
dynamical downscaling) we are proposing to use the descriptor "driving"
to distinguish these specific global attributes.

Also, instead of having a separate sub-project, we propose that this
information is included in the experiment_ID (which in this proposal is
intended to describe the downscaling experiment and the downscaling
setting); We also include "perfectModel" descriptor in the "product"
global attribute to distinguish the applicability of the downscaled data
for impact applications; Although, we already received a comment by
Aparna that indicated a concern regarding this last proposed addition.

Please take a look at the table and send any comments or suggestions
that you might have. We would like to expedite the decision on the list
of final global attributes, so that the NASA team would be able to
publish their data soon.
We are hoping to reach an agreement on the final set of global
attributes via email within the next few days.

Best regards,
Galia