[Go-essp-tech] Power outage will prevent users from getting CMIP5 data

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Tue Jul 10 18:37:11 MDT 2012

Dear all,

On short notice our laboratory has scheduled maintenance of the power
service for our network devices.  Consequently we expect that all our
servers and websites (including pcmdi3.llnl.gov, where CMIP5 users are
authenticated after checking their credentials) will be unavailable for
up to 8 hours tomorrow. Users will not be able to reach our ESG gateway
or website at PCMDI.  They will be able to reach other ESG gateways, but
I understand that they will not be able to download wget scripts for
CMIP5 data, nor will any existing wget script run successfully when
pcmdi3 is unreachable.

Those of you hosting an ESG gateway (or and ESGF p2p data portal),
please post, if you can, a temporary message similar to the following:

"The PCMDI servers, which verify the credentials of those seeking CMIP5
data, will be down on Wednesday, 11 July 2012 from 14:00 UTC to
approximately 23 UTC  (7 a.m. to 4 p.m. PDT).  During this period, CMIP
data will not be retrievable.  The PCMDI website also may not be
accessible.  We apologize for this inconvenience."

I will send an email message to all CMIP5 registered users alerting them
to the outage.

I'm sorry for not giving you an earlier heads-up, but I just learned
about this today, and although I've asked for a postponement of the
outage and reduction of the down time, I have been unsuccessful.