[Go-essp-tech] Change of institute name

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Fri Jan 20 11:02:55 MST 2012

Hi Sylvia,

The current list of official institute and model names can be found at:
http://cmip-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cmip5/docs/CMIP5_modeling_groups.pdf

The list of CMIP5 experiment names can be found at:
http://cmip-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cmip5/docs/cmip5_data_reference_Appendix1-1.pdf

These are accessible from several points in the CMIP5 website.

The first document will be updated once I hear from the FGOALS and the
ACCESS modeling contacts to reflect their desires.

We have asked the modeling groups to record these names as global
attributes (model_id and institute_id) in the netCDF files, but
sometimes they have instead recorded slight variants on the official
names. (for example using lower case in place of upper case).  Whatever
is passed as a model_id to CMOR will be recorded without modification,
but CMOR also creates a file name, where certain "forbidden" characters
--   e.g., ".", "(", and ")"  -- in the model_id get replaced by a
hyphen.  Thus, the model_id may appear in modified form in the filename.

When datasets are published, I think by default the model_id gets
transcribed from the files to the database (and catalog??).  The
publisher can, however, override the default with some other model
identifier, but I'm not sure about this.

Because we can't easily enforce that modeling groups be consistent in
specification of model_id, inevitably there may be discrepancies between
the table we've posted on the web (see above) and what is found in the
netCDF files.  Also, we can't prevent folks from overriding the default
value used in the ESG publication process, so I think inconsistencies
can again be introduced.  I don't know whether/how the Metafor
questionnaire enforces consistency.

I don't know how big a problem all this is, but the differences, if any,
I think are minor.

Please let me know if you have suggestions for *easy* ways to enforce
better consistency.  [Also, if  anyone cares to clarify how the
model_id's get into ESG and the search engine, that might be helpful.]