[Go-essp-tech] NetCDF version of GFDL files

martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Jan 19 05:03:34 MST 2012

Hello All,

I've just noticed, following a user query, that GFDL data is in NetCDF "64-bit offset" format, rather than "classic". "64-bit offset" mode requires NetCDF 3.6 or later, hence causing at least one user a problem (because of an old IDL installation using an even older netcdf library). I believe that most of the archive is in "classic" mode and that this was, strictly speaking, requested.  However, as I have just copied 40 thousand files from GFDL to BADC, I'm not keen on having the GFDL data changed - rather, I think we should advise users to update their software. NetCDF 3.6.0 was released in Feb. 2007, so we are not exactly forcing the pace as far as software upgrades go,

Cheers,
Martin