[Go-essp-tech] NetCDF version of GFDL files

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Thu Jan 19 14:49:02 MST 2012

Hi all,

My understanding is that "classic" format since release of NetCDF 3.6
includes support of "large files" (>2.2 Gbytes) using "64-bit offset".
Although we recommend against files larger than 2.2 Gbytes for CMIP5 we
don't absolutely forbid it.  We certainly don't forbid specifying
"64-bit offset".  I think we should recommend use of 3.6.3 or higher to
users, and encourage them to install even more recent versions.

I agree with Martin on this.  Perhaps we can post (when time permits) a
FAQ indicating that 3.6.3 or higher should be used in reading CMIP5 data.