[Go-essp-tech] GO-ESSP call Jan 10, 2012

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Mon Jan 16 18:53:14 MST 2012

Dear all,

Regarding:
> ... Karl contacted us and asked us to remove all of the federated CMIP5 datasets from our gateway.
Could somebody explain why Karl asked NCAR to do this?

Here is part of the explanation:

Before changes are made to the way the CMIP5 model output is served,
several requirements must be met.  PCMDI has the responsibility for
this, and we have not given permission for any new gateways to become
operational in the service of CMIP5 data.  In particular, the "Gateway
2.0" has not yet completed a sufficiently testing phase.  We therefore
asked NCAR to remove the federated CMIP5 datasets from the operational
version of its gateway.

One requirement of the gateway is that it make available *all*  output
released by the climate modeling groups.   The modeling groups have
worked hard to finish their simulations and produce output in a
user-friendly form.  Our responsibility is to make sure users can get to
it.   The release candidate for Gateway 2.0 fails to list some datasets
that are in fact being served through Gateway 1.3.4 (the operational
gateway at the main CMIP5 data centers at PCMDI, BADC, and WDCC). [see
below for an example.]  Users coming to Gateway 2.0 would therefore
incorrectly conclude that some models hadn't provided the output they
were seeking, when in fact the Gateway 2.0 was simply not showing it.
This is unacceptable and is one reason that Gateway 2.0 cannot
operationally serve CMIP5 model output.

This serious problem with Gateway 2.0 may not be the only issue that
could delay or rule out its use in serving CMIP5.  Rest assured that
more than one option is being considered for improving access to CMIP5
model output.  We hope to have a better system in place soon, but only
after a careful and thorough testing stage has been completed.  During
the testing phase, we will at some point (within weeks, I think) invite
users to try out the new system (as beta testers), but the operational
system will also remain available and resource limitations will likely
mean our CMIP5 help desk will during the testing phase only be able to
respond to questions concerning the operational system.

We hope, therefore, that before too long the users will see substantial
improvements in the system giving them access to CMIP5 model output. I
welcome your continued input and help.

Example of problem with Gateway 2.0:  Compare search results on
MPI-ESM-LR, rcp85, r3i1p1

Gateway 1.3.4 (at BADC, for example): returns 15 datasets
the prototype Gateway 2.0 (at NCAR): returns only 3 datasets.

thus, Gateway 2.0 fails to show the user datasets which, in fact, are
available from the MPI model.