[Go-essp-tech] GO-ESSP call Jan 10, 2012

Eric Nienhouse ejn at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 17 11:31:01 MST 2012

Hi Karl,

Thank you for this summary.  I agree a key requirement of the Gateway is
to make available all output released by climate modeling groups.
You've noted certain discrepancies between the 1.3 and 2.0 Gateway
versions which are a concern.

I believe the Gateway 2.0 is more accurately representing the ESG
federated system state than the 1.3.4 version.  The Gateway 2.0 provides
additional validation over 1.3.4 primarily to reduce the number of
inconsistencies experienced by users and to accurately support access
control.  This leads to some differences when comparing Gateway 1.3.4
and 2.0 (we've identified about 75 such cases.)

The discrepancies you note are a reflection of inconsistencies between
the Thredds dataset catalogs and the publication state stored at the
1.3.4 Gateway.  Below is a brief summary.  Much of this can be (and
should be) corrected by re-publishing the current dataset catalog to the
corresponding gateway to fix up these errors.

* In about 40 cases, the original catalog has "moved" and the Gateway is
referencing the old catalog path which no longer exists.  In general
files are still down-loadable from 1.3.X.

* In 13 cases, the the original catalog no longer exists.  The files are
still download-able from 1.3.X without access control due to a TDS
loophole.

* In at least 2 cases, a new dataset version catalog is available,
however it has not been published to the Gateway (and the old one removed.)

Again, much of this can be corrected by re-publishing the current
dataset catalogs to the gateway.  This should resolve the particular
issue Karl noted below in which "MPI-ESM-LR, rcp85, r3i1p1" datasets are
missing from the 2.0 Gateway.  In this case, these (12) dataset catalogs
have been moved to a new path (from /6/ to /1/) and should be republished.

Kind regards,

-Eric