[Go-essp-tech] CMIP5 publishing to Gateway and P2P nodes

Estanislao Gonzalez gonzalez at dkrz.de
Sat Feb 11 11:06:26 MST 2012

Hi Serguei,

we are doing a very similar move, so perhaps it's worth sharing it.

Since the Gateway cannot publish replicas, we had to "unpublish them"
form it, though we still have the catalogs in place (meaning --thredds
but no --publish for the esgpublish tool)
So I installed a data node at other machine, cmip3 (I'm using devel,
since thought there are a few issues, it's stable and is more closely to
what will end up in "master" soon enough).
I've dumped the complete esgcet DB (database inclusive), drop the one
installed at cmip3 and ingested the original one.
Then I copied all catalogs to cmip3 and updated the host name in all of
them via sed (that's because we have gridFTP endpoint with the hostname
encoded in each catalog)
I removed out own catalogs, but that's not something you'll be doing I
guess. If you need to remove multiple datasets tell me because I can
give you a hint on how to do that faster.

So now we have a duplicate of the original node, from which I will
remove all replicas afterwards to gain more memory space. cmip3 has all
the metrics from the original node and I might have to replace some
tables that have the hostname encoded in them (not sure, haven't found
any, but I guess the metrics do have the complete URL... have to check)

The bad is that as it is, the node is not working with people not having
the CMIP5 membership already... but it wasn't working before either
(previously you would have seen a 403, now you get a 500 because of some
issues we are working on).

After that you can publish to whatever you want, but if you have a
second node, I'll suggest you publish to pcmdi9. You don't need any idp
nor index, though as Luca said, the complete installation is the most
tested one, so you migh want to install a complete stack, though I
recommend you to care for the data part only.

I'll definitely suggest you to have to nodes running until everything is
setup. It will lower the pressure of having it on-line if anything goes
wrong (though it shouldn't).

Well, hope that's useful to you.

Thanks,
Estani