[Go-essp-tech] Reasoning for the use of symbolic links in drslib

stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk
Sat Sep 17 14:16:58 MDT 2011

Hi All,

I'm aware that many people are reluctant to use drslib because of it's use of symbolic links when constructing the DRS directory structure.  I completely understand caution when using symbolic links but I wanted to make the case for why I believe it is necessary to meet the goals of a consistent distributed and versioned archive.  Therefore I've prepared a wiki page that goes into the technical details:

http://esgf.org/wiki/DrsVersionLinking

Please read it carefully if you are currently considering how to implement the DRS directory structure.  I propose we discuss this at the next ESGF telco.

Thanks,
Stephen.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
Centre of Environmental Data Archival
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot OX11 0QX, UK