[Go-essp-tech] Documenting CMIP5 data upgrades: the DRSCOMM application

stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Sep 12 06:48:48 MDT 2011

Hi all,

User feedback and BADC's experience with managing new versions of datasets have convinced us that we need a mechanism for recording when and why data is retracted and upgraded in the CMIP5 system.  To this end Ag Stephen's at BADC has developed a simple web application to record dataset version changes across the federation.

Take a look at http://cmip-ingest1.badc.rl.ac.uk/drscomm/

The purpose of the application is to provide both data managers and users with a simple interface for adding, finding information and changes to versions based on DRS.  It is a lightweight approach that tries to do the minimum to get the job done with the intention to improve it as needed.  We at BADC will use it to record version upgrades and retractions.  In fact it already contains all our deprecations and the version adjustments announced today.  However, to be most effective it should be used by all the CMIP5 datanodes.  The front page describes a simple wget-based programming API.  Soon we plan to release python scripts and an ESG Publisher plugin to allow datanode administrators to add comments as they publish.

Feedback is welcome as ever.

Cheers,

Stephen Pascoe

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
Centre of Environmental Data Archival
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot OX11 0QX, UK