[Go-essp-tech] Documenting CMIP5 data upgrades: the DRSCOMM application

Estanislao Gonzalez gonzalez at dkrz.de
Mon Sep 12 07:37:12 MDT 2011

Hi Stephen,

this looks great. It's something we will want to embed into the Gateway
at some point, but it's definitely a good place to get started.
We already were thinking about were to store this information...

Thanks,
Estani

Am 12.09.2011 14:48, schrieb stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk:

> Hi all,
>
> User feedback and BADC's experience with managing new versions of
> datasets have convinced us that we need a mechanism for recording when
> and why data is retracted and upgraded in the CMIP5 system.  To this
> end Ag Stephen's at BADC has developed a simple web application to
> record dataset version changes across the federation.
>
> Take a look at http://cmip-ingest1.badc.rl.ac.uk/drscomm/
>
> The purpose of the application is to provide both data managers and
> users with a simple interface for adding, finding information and
> changes to versions based on DRS.  It is a lightweight approach that
> tries to do the minimum to get the job done with the intention to
> improve it as needed.  We at BADC will use it to record version
> upgrades and retractions.  In fact it already contains all our
> deprecations and the version adjustments announced today.  However, to
> be most effective it should be used by all the CMIP5 datanodes.  The
> front page describes a simple wget-based programming API.  Soon we
> plan to release python scripts and an ESG Publisher plugin to allow
> datanode administrators to add comments as they publish.
>
> Feedback is welcome as ever.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stephen Pascoe
>
> ---
>
> Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
>
> Centre of Environmental Data Archival
>
> STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot OX11 0QX, UK
>

> --
> Scanned by iCritical.

Estanislao Gonzalez

Max-Planck-Institut für Meteorologie (MPI-M)
Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum (DKRZ) - German Climate Computing Centre
Room 108 - Bundesstrasse 45a, D-20146 Hamburg, Germany

Phone:   +49 (40) 46 00 94-126
E-Mail:  gonzalez at dkrz.de