[Go-essp-tech] Handling missing data in the CMIP5 archive

Bryan Lawrence bryan.lawrence at stfc.ac.uk
Thu May 5 04:07:18 MDT 2011

Hi Phil

You guys have known about this error (and others like it, for weeks).

Are you really saying it's a vast effort to have a short python code that
provides missing data sequences when *you(mohc)*
 a) already know exactly what is missing, and
 b) how long it is missing for.
 c) have written your own internal q.c. report for it (which must take a
comparable amount of time to running a "provide missing data" code.

We then find it immediately too, because we're running q.c. code, and we
could fix it too (and would, but then it wouldn't be *your* data any
more). Every user will do this too (or cock up because they don't spot
the problem).

I know we're all spread thin, and I can lose this argument in the
context of CMIP5 q.c up to level 2, but I'm not ready to given for q.c.
level 3.

In particular, a DOI is not a URL alone. It has to mean something a wee
bit more than that if you want it to be taken seriously as a
publication. Speaking personally, I wont go to bat with the journals and
ISI unless it is!

I know you're spread thin, but we are all spread thin. I'm not
suggesting you have to rerun the model here!

Cheers
Bryan