[Go-essp-tech] Handling missing data in the CMIP5 archive

Bentley, Philip philip.bentley at metoffice.gov.uk
Thu May 5 03:52:37 MDT 2011

Hi Karl,

As a modelling centre affected (or should that be afflicted!) by this
particular issue, it's probably time for us to chime in with our own 2
cents worth.

There are a variety of technical and human reasons why there are
occasional small temporal gaps in the model data that we have submitted
to the CMIP5 archive: model crashes/restarts, files not making it into
our archive system, start/end dates not specified exactly in conformance
with the CMIP5 experiment plan, etc, etc. (Given the number of
experiments that MOHC is conducting I don't think it would be humanely
possible for us to get everything right all the time :-).

If it was trivial matter to identify and fix these small bits of missing
data I can assure you that we would have done that. The reality,
however, is that the complexities (and, yes, quirks) of the UM, together
with the software integration aspects of the CMOR library, mean that is
by no means a trivial technical issue.  And like the rest of the
CMIP5/ESGF endeavour - that's you guys! - we have very few resources
spread fairly thinly.  Hence we have had to make decisions on where to
prioritise our efforts. Do we fix occasional small gaps in data
time-series, or do we focus on CFMIP2, TAMIP, 60-level models, or invest
*significant* effort into understanding and using the CMIP5
questionnaire! (In the latter case, to the not inconsiderable benefit of
other modelling centres.)

So, in the same spirit in which the compliance rules were relaxed with
regard to provision of model metadata via the CMIP5 questionnaire, we
would hope that similar flexibility be extended to the submission of
model data, some of which may contain occasional small portions of
missing data.  Not surprisingly perhaps, we believe that it is far
preferable to have 99% of the data for a particular simulation available
in the archive than have it rejected (or non-DOI'd) because of, say, 1
missing month or year.

Also, given that we have been submitting model data to the archive since
last October, it would seem somewhat, er, punitive to introduce a
stricter data compliance rule at this stage in the game!

For our part we will endeavour to minimise the size/number of temporal
gaps in our submitted data. And, as time and reources permit, we will
investigate technical solutions that will enable us to supply files of
missing data where we do have such gaps. In the meantime we will
continue to utilise the appropriate mechanisms (e.g. the CMIP5
questionnaire) to flag up data quality issues such as this.

Regards,

Phil