[Go-essp-tech] Handling missing data in the CMIP5 archive

Bryan Lawrence bryan.lawrence at stfc.ac.uk
Thu May 5 04:20:06 MDT 2011

Hi Phil

Actually having written that, and thought a bit longer, I think the
situation could be put analagous to atm.chem.phys discussion papers.

I have no problem with passing q.c level 2 in this situation, and
allowing folks access to the data (analogous to a discussion paper for
atm.chem.phys).

We now have what is effectively a discusison paper anda referees report:
"you have unflagged missing data" - both public.

When the final version is received for formal publication, we expect it
to have been fixed (using flags or a rerun, whatever).  At which point it
is eligible to get a persistent DOI to a fixed dataset (and move from
being a discussion paper to being a real paper).

Otherwise the position (wrt a doi publication) is analogous to "we put a
lot of work into our paper, we don't  want to do any more  because we're
busy" ... which doesn't and shouldn't fly, for a publication.

Cheers
Bryan