[Go-essp-tech] changing number in ESG dataset link

Martina Stockhause stockhause at dkrz.de
Thu May 5 03:03:42 MDT 2011

Hi, Bob,

as Estani mentioned, we have a problem with changing root URLs (<number>
in the below string) for the ESG dataset links:

For the DOI data (aggregation on DRS experiment level) we prepare links
to the ESG datasets belonging to it. Currently, we construct them out of
the root URL for the asked location and the <dataset_id>. If that root
URLs change over the CMIP5 data at a location, this does not work any
longer.

What can we do about it?

1. Since the dataset_id is unique, why do we need to know that <number>
at all for the ESG dataset link?
Is it possible to set-up a service that redirects to the right URL, e.g.
http://<datanode>/<service>/esgcet/<dataset_id> redirecting to the above
URL?

That would be our preferred solution, since all other solutions means a
lot of work for my db admin and for me.
And for these options 2 and 3 the minimal preconditions are:
- This root URL does not change after DOI assignment.
- The root URL is the same for all ESG datasets of a single DRS
experiment on a single DN.

2. You mentioned an API that supplies this number.
How is it called? The call has to be open (without security checks).
We would implement calls for all ESG datasets before DOI assignment and
adapt our metadata, esp. for the location of the data replica.

3. Is there a range for these numbers? Are they assigned as increasing
numbers or totally free numbers?
If the range is an increasing number of a small range, we could check
for the right number and go on as in 2.

Estani will discuss this with you in Ashville to find the best solution
to this problem.

Thanks and best wishes,
Martina