[Go-essp-tech] CMIP5 Datanode : data access services.

Sébastien Denvil sebastien.denvil at ipsl.jussieu.fr
Mon May 2 08:09:20 MDT 2011

  Thanks Luca.

On 02/05/2011 15:38, Cinquini, Luca (3880) wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
> 	the ESGF security infrastructure can be used for opendap access - infact, this is already working at JPL. Once opendap
> access is configured with security, users can use either a browser or an esg-enabled client to access datasets.

Great. At least with opendap they can access from the browser a region
if they know array indices that cover it. If they have nco operator with
opendap client enable they should in theory be able to extract their
area using physical lat/lon. Not everyone has made this nco compilation.

The good thing with netCDF subsets is that it works with longitude and
latitude from the browser.... Lot of browser addict out there.

> I will try to write some documentation on the esgf.org wiki either this evening or tomorrow, and then let you try it out...
>
> thanks for raising the issue, I meant to start an email conversation on this but never quite got to it...

That's already big fun to setup model / run them / produce & distribute
those data. We tried hardly in the past and was discourage by the
difficulty and the fact that we did not know how to find out precisely
what was supposed to work and what was not (given the day we install the
stack). In that case it's not easy to investigate and to find a way to
contribute without being in the development main stream.

Glad to hear it should be smooth install now. We will read your notes
and try it out with confidence.

Cheers.
Sébastien

ps : any further comments about gridFTP or netcdf subsets? If you say it
should work we will try and report, but we need this green light to try.