[Go-essp-tech] CMIP5 Datanode : data access services.

Estanislao Gonzalez gonzalez at dkrz.de
Mon May 2 09:14:11 MDT 2011

Hi Sébastien,

there is a requirement about the NetCDF library version that work with
ESGF. I don't recall it now (Phil, which version was it?), but it means
that not every nco can connect to the data node. The OpenDAP connector
must provide the required certificate and follow redirects for it to work.

Thanks,
Estani

Am 02.05.2011 16:09, schrieb Sébastien Denvil:
>  Thanks Luca.
>

> On 02/05/2011 15:38, Cinquini, Luca (3880) wrote:
>> Hi Sebastian,
>>     the ESGF security infrastructure can be used for opendap access -
>> infact, this is already working at JPL. Once opendap
>> access is configured with security, users can use either a browser or
>> an esg-enabled client to access datasets.
>
> Great. At least with opendap they can access from the browser a region
> if they know array indices that cover it. If they have nco operator
> with opendap client enable they should in theory be able to extract
> their area using physical lat/lon. Not everyone has made this nco
> compilation.
>
> The good thing with netCDF subsets is that it works with longitude and
> latitude from the browser.... Lot of browser addict out there.
>
>> I will try to write some documentation on the esgf.org wiki either
>> this evening or tomorrow, and then let you try it out...
>>
>> thanks for raising the issue, I meant to start an email conversation
>> on this but never quite got to it...
>
> That's already big fun to setup model / run them / produce &
> distribute those data. We tried hardly in the past and was discourage
> by the difficulty and the fact that we did not know how to find out
> precisely what was supposed to work and what was not (given the day we
> install the stack). In that case it's not easy to investigate and to
> find a way to contribute without being in the development main stream.
>
> Glad to hear it should be smooth install now. We will read your notes
> and try it out with confidence.
>
> Cheers.
> Sébastien
>
> ps : any further comments about gridFTP or netcdf subsets? If you say
> it should work we will try and report, but we need this green light to
> try.
>
>> Luca
>>
>> On May 2, 2011, at 7:32 AM, Sébastien Denvil wrote:
>>
>>>   Dear all,
>>>
>>> we received increasing demand asking for regional model boundary
>>> conditions from CMIP5 simulations. Those datasets are heavy and
>>> therefore "wget" is not my favourite answer. I would like this
>>> answer to
>>> be base on a ESG-F solution and not a home made one.
>>>
>>> In order to build a meaningful response I would like to know what are
>>> the plan regarding the datanode to have :
>>> - openDAP enable with CMIP5 filters.
>>> - netCDF subsets enable with CMIP5 filters.
>>>      * openDAP and/or netCDF subsets will be very useful for those
>>> focusing on a specific region (Africa OR Asia for example). They could
>>> then extract only the area of interest.
>>>
>>> - gridFTP enable with CMIP5 filters.
>>>      *gridFTP will be very useful for those focusing on many regions
>>> and/or doing the CORDEX exercise but without a limited area model. It's
>>> very likely that they will download the whole datasets.
>>>
>>> My understanding is that gridFTP is not fully functional at this point
> [...]

Estanislao Gonzalez

Max-Planck-Institut für Meteorologie (MPI-M)
Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum (DKRZ) - German Climate Computing Centre
Room 108 - Bundesstrasse 45a, D-20146 Hamburg, Germany

Phone:   +49 (40) 46 00 94-126
E-Mail:  gonzalez at dkrz.de