[Go-essp-tech] ESG Federation Gateways - Institute and Model Names

Eric Nienhouse ejn at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 15 12:48:30 MDT 2011

Thank you Estani,

Comments below.

-Eric

Estanislao Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> "Included in the FAQ are instructions to correct this problem." Does
> this imply that this is the proposed solution to this problem? I hope
> it's just a work around, manually updating the DB is very error prone.
This is a work-around solution and is short term focused.  This approach
will support consistency across the federation in the near term.
Ultimately this process will be automated and should not require any
manual DB updates.
> Why is that data not being harvested at all if it's available? This
> somehow encourages DB admins to name the models, and we might end up
> with model named differently in each gateway... IMHO this shouldn't be
> even possible.
The metadata exchange mechanism does not harvest model or institute
instances currently and assumes these entities have been pre-populated
in the triple store.  Manually entering these values into the database
resolves this issue as a work-around.

The model names are defined in the published Thredds catalogs, which
should adhere to the CMIP5 best practices naming conventions.  Though a
DB administrator can arbitrarily name a model in the database, only
those model names that match the Thredds values (via case insensitive
comparison) will be shown in the Search Categories UI.

> And by the way, the SQL commands order is wrong, at least for PCMDI.
> Apparently it should be metadata.resource -> curator.model_component
> -> curator.model
Thanks for noting this.  Are you getting errors when running the SQL
commands as they are found in the documentation?  We'll look into it and
get this corrected asap.