[Go-essp-tech] Status of Gateway 2.0 (another use case)

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Thu Dec 15 08:30:20 MST 2011

On Dec 15, 2011, at 10:02 AM, Karl Taylor wrote:

> Hi Jennifer and Mark,
>
> RE:
>> http://cmip-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cmip5/esg_tables/transpose_esg_static_table.html
>
> The numbers listed in the table (default view) show how many "datasets" have been produced from each model for each experiment.  Multiple datasets are produced for each simulation.  Even if you click on the selection button at the top of the page and select a single CMOR table, this won't definitively tell you how many realizations of a simulation have been performed by each model.  [For example, there are two categories of output -- output1 and output2 -- so the data produced from one CMOR table can be split across two datasets.  Also, I'm not sure whether the counting eliminates replicated versions of the datasets (the same data can be found at more than one data node).
>
> The bottom line is that this table should only be used to infer which models have reported (some) results from at least one realization.  The dataset count isn't a particularly useful quantity for a user.
I respectfully disagree, since a dataset list for a particular model and experiment is useful to me. It saves me from having to go to the gateway and suffer through the painfully slow mouse-clicking and "Loading, please wait" messages to select that experiment/model/realm/frequency and discover what the ensemble member names are.

--Jennifer