[Go-essp-tech] Status of Gateway 2.0 (another use case)

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Thu Dec 15 08:02:58 MST 2011

Hi Jennifer and Mark,

RE:
> http://cmip-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cmip5/esg_tables/transpose_esg_static_table.html

The numbers listed in the table (default view) show how many "datasets"
have been produced from each model for each experiment.  Multiple
datasets are produced for each simulation.  Even if you click on the
selection button at the top of the page and select a single CMOR table,
this won't definitively tell you how many realizations of a simulation
have been performed by each model.  [For example, there are two
categories of output -- output1 and output2 -- so the data produced from
one CMOR table can be split across two datasets.  Also, I'm not sure
whether the counting eliminates replicated versions of the datasets (the
same data can be found at more than one data node).

The bottom line is that this table should only be used to infer which
models have reported (some) results from at least one realization.  The
dataset count isn't a particularly useful quantity for a user.

As for csv, json, etc., we could find this out if there is interest.

best regards,
Karl