[Go-essp-tech] CMIP5 Version directory structure update

Martina Stockhause martina.stockhause at zmaw.de
Tue Jun 8 07:45:19 MDT 2010

Hi Bryan,

Bryan Lawrence wrote:
> Hi Martina
>
> On Monday 07 Jun 2010 14:07:17 Martina Stockhause wrote:
>
>> Hi Stephen,
>>
>> It's good that you push the version control ahead.
>>
>> I'd like to bring the version control on the DOI level into the
>> discussion. We plan to assign DOIs on experiments and on models or
>> institutes
>>

> I'm not sure I understand that statement.
Sorry. I meant that we assign DOIs in two granularities: One as you
described for the group of datasets belonging to a simulation (metafor)
/ experiment (DRS level); and the second for coarser citations for the
data produced by a whole modelling center or by one GCM of a modelling
center. This was for citation convenience for publications that analyse
and compare many CMIP5 simulations.
> My understanding is that there
> will will be DOIs that point to simulations (which are run by models at
> institutes on platforms in conformance to experiments). Those documents
> will point to mulitiple realm datasets.
>
> We need to deal with what happens with changing versions of data, but
> that's a slightly indpendent issue: but certainly, if the simulation
> points to *different* versions, it's a different simulation instance, and
> itself has a version increment.
>

>> . I think we should use a similar mechanism for that as for
>> the version management for the portal (on the model_realm level). I
>>  see only one difference: We do not publish data but only add to the
>>  metadata, which makes it simpler.
>>
>> Would a DOI on an experiment be another version tree on the
>>  experiment level with links to the associated model_realm versions?
>>

> Further, we point DOI's to particular metafor simulation documents,
> which need to be fixed* once the DOI points to them, and they need to
> point to fixed versions of data.

Yes, we need these fixed and unique set of data in the right individual
versions for every DOI. They have to be left unchanged by the
publication of a new dataset. Can we grant this?
A fixed CIM simulation  object might have different versions of dataset,
or not? Say, if an error in the postprocessing of a variable is found.
There would be a new version for it, but as  I understand it no new
version of the simulation.

The DOI is assigned to datasets in a specific version, which is a list
of DRS names or a list of tracking ids. I am not sure if the simulation
document is identical with such a unique list.

Martina