[Go-essp-tech] Access control for data with different QC Level

V. Balaji V.Balaji at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 21 19:27:30 MDT 2010

Karl, this sounds fine. If the WGCM can stipulate that peer-reviewed
publications based on any data in the archive acknowledge and cite the
data source, then I think we can all live with some of the data
being cited without DOIs (thus rendering it "grey literature", to
use Bryan's terminology).

Do you think we can get the "terms of use" run by the WGCM leadership
rather soon (i.e before Exeter?)

Thanks,

Karl Taylor writes:

> Hi all,
>
> We clearly need to get clarification/guidance from the modeling groups.  I
> must say, however, that I'm guessing that the DOI assignment will cover data
> published  in 99% of the research articles.  The other 1% of the data is
> still of considerable research value (just as all the CMIP3 data was
> valuable, even without DOI's).   This "other" data should *not* be excluded
> from research (and journal publication).  Given that there seem to be limits
> to what can be accommodated in the "replicated" subset (which is what is
> destined for DOI assignment), I see no reason to modify what I said earlier
> other than:
>
> We should add a line to the terms of use that when data is used in a research
> publication, the user must follow the rules for citation and acknowledgment
> that will be found on our website.  One of these rules will be that if a DOI
> has been assigned to the data, then it must be cited.
>
> We will have to get the modeling groups to agree to this, but, like Balaji, I
> think they will be in favor.
>
> Best regards,
> Karl
>
> On 7/20/10 10:00 AM, V. Balaji wrote:
>> Karl, I must disagree. I think the principle that the modeling centers
>> deserve acknowledgment from users of the data in the form of a citation
>> has to be a bedrock requirement, and I thought the WGCM leadership
>> understood and agreed.
>>
>> I agree that the WGCM may not have a position on QC and versioning per
>> se, but they are necessary steps for a robust citation system, as the
>> Michael et al document shows. The WGCM must take a stand on citations.
>> If they do the rest follows.
>>
>> I apologize if I am being hasty and misunderstood your remark, as
>> I'm rushing off to the next damn thing... (It's one of those "one
>> damn thing after another" days...)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Karl Taylor writes:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Hold the presses please!
>>>
>>> My understanding is that WGCM expects *all* output registered with ESG to
>>> be
>>> made available to anyone who signs the terms of use, as soon as the output
>>> is
>>> available (with perhaps a requirement that model documentation also be in
>>> place).  There are no requirements for QC or replication placed on the

--

V. Balaji                               Office:  +1-609-452-6516
Head, Modeling Systems Group, GFDL      Home:    +1-212-253-6662
Princeton University                    Email: v.balaji at noaa.gov