[Go-essp-tech] Access control for data with different QC Level

martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Jul 21 02:28:16 MDT 2010

Hello All,

A couple of thoughts on enforcement and openness (supporting Karl's
approach).

Firstly, on openness, we don't want people saying "the fact that only
10% of the data is made available to the public completely invalidates
the review process". It is the appearance of holding back data that
matters, not the efforts exerted to make the important data as widely
available as possible.

Secondly, on enforcement: basically, we can't. If we make access
conditional on approval from modelling groups it will be essentially
random and based on who you know -- some groups will approve everyone
automatically, others will spend months trying to decide what the
process should be. One approach would be to have self-assessed
categories: "Expert User" and "Assured Data User", where the names
indicate things which would be spelt out in more detail in the terms of
use: the "Expert User" has access to data which should be used with
caution, the "Assured Data User" has access to data which has been
through an independent quality control process.

I think it would put modelling groups in a difficult position if there
is any indication that their permission is needed prior to publication
of analyses based on the data. If there is any change to Karl's wording,
I would limit it to something indicating that "Expert Users" should
notify the modelling centres prior to publication of any analysis of
their data.

Cheers,
Martin

This