[Go-essp-tech] BioTorrents

martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Apr 22 03:27:37 MDT 2010

On another slightly philosophical note, would it be possible to relax
the requirement that files be kept as CMOR2 compliant netcdf to a
requirement that the archive will deliver all data as CMOR2 compliant
netcdf?

There is a real use case here: a modelling centre (DKRZ) will produce a
significant volume of GRIB data from CMIP5 runs for use as regional
model forcing  by themselves and national collaborators and don't have
funding for additional disk space to store a netcdf copy. There is an
additional complication  that variables they want to distribute go
significantly beyond what was included in the CMIP5 request, so some may
not be recognised by CMOR2.

There may, of course, be many technical and resource reasons for not
wanting to this in the next two years, but in the longer term, is there
any reason why http://<domain>/<path>.nc
<http://%3cdomain%3e/%3cpath%3e.nc>  should not resolve to a dynamically
generated netcdf file?

Cheers,