[Go-essp-tech] BioTorrents

Gary Strand strandwg at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 22 08:33:52 MDT 2010

The requirement that some data be kept restricted for some period of
time isn't "perceived", it's real. Given the career advancement
strictures on scientists (publish or perish), some (to be specific)
model results are "embargoed" until the PIs have had a chance to
analyze the data and write their papers. Given the collaborative
nature of these kinds of analyses, scientists 1-N from institutions 1-
M may be the only ones allowed to access the data for a certain period
of time. I'd rather not incur the wrath of scientists by making
everything open as soon as it's created, thus allowing someone else to
write the landmark paper and beat the PI's to the punch.

Certainly, completely open access at some time is necessary, but there
are good and solid and reasonable reasons for restricted access.