CEDAR email: Announcement

Derr, Jason R Dr jason.derr at westpoint.edu
Fri May 17 08:57:32 MDT 2024

Hello upcoming CEDAR attendees,

We are inviting you to participate and submit short presentations to our new CEDAR workshop “Mid- to High-Latitude Plasma Density Irregularities and Impacts on Ionospheric Scintillation<https://cedarscience.org/workshop/2024-workshop-ionospheric-scintillation-and-plasma-density-irregularities>.” Our session will be occurring on Monday, June 10 at 13:30.  Below is a brief description of the session:

“This session will focus on ionospheric scintillation in the presence of plasma density structures at the mid- to high-latitudes. Such plasma structuring is often enhanced during geomagnetically disturbed times (e.g., geomagnetic storms and auroral substorms), and causes increased scintillation compared to quiet times. Plasma density gradients set up by energetic particle precipitations, often from magnetotail activity, leads to both refractive and diffractive effects on radio waves propagating through the ionosphere from a GNSS satellite to a ground-based receiver.  Here we aim to examine ionospheric plasma structure and stability in relation to GNSS phase and amplitude scintillation.  Presentations on the development of plasma irregularities related to scintillation, the relationship between scintillation and broader geospace dynamics, and the specific processes of diffractive and refractive scintillation are encouraged.”

Please reach out to jason.derr at westpoint.edu<mailto:jason.derr at westpoint.edu> if you are interested in delivering a presentation on your research at our session.

Sincerely,

Jason Derr
Leslie Lamarche
Diana Loucks
Toshi Nishimura
Matthew Zettergren

[cid:1ec2043a-2925-491b-a9cd-ea59838ddd5a]<https://outlook.office.com/bookwithme/user/23cdb548d8a64a13a30975107bd5545f@westpoint.edu?anonymous&ep=bwmEmailSignature>            Book time to meet with me<https://outlook.office.com/bookwithme/user/23cdb548d8a64a13a30975107bd5545f@westpoint.edu?anonymous&ep=bwmEmailSignature>