CEDAR email: 8-12 May 2024 Solar & Geospace Superstorm Workshop -- Announcement

Rawafi, Nour E. Nour.Rawafi at jhuapl.edu
Mon Jun 3 13:55:58 MDT 2024

Dear Colleagues,

I hope this message finds you well.

Below is the first announcement of the “8-12 May 2024 Solar & Geospace Superstorm.”

8-12 May 2024 Solar & Geospace Superstorm Workshop
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory, 28 October – 1 November, 2024

From 8-12 May 2024, the Sun displayed an unusual degree of activity, with active region NOAA AR3664 emitting multiple X-class flares and Earth-directed coronal mass ejections. As a result, the third-strongest solar storm of the space age ensued and the first one of this magnitude featuring a wealth of observations from spaceborne and ground-based assets, as well as state-of-the-art models. This remarkable storm has generated a lot of interest from the scientific community and drew significant attention from the public and the media towards some of the most intriguing heliophysics phenomena and their impact on our society. Analyzing diverse observations and simulations of this event from across the heliosphere (including the Sun, the inner heliosphere, the Earth’s magnetosphere, ionosphere, thermosphere, atmosphere, and ground) present an exceptional chance for the scientific community to gather around a common focal point and gain valuable insights into the physics of strong solar disturbances and how they interact with the near-Earth space.

The workshop is specifically designed to concentrate on the “8-12 May 2024 Solar & Geospace Superstorm” and its consequent effects on Earth's environment. Analyzing these events opens up extensive avenues for expanding our knowledge, as multiple aspects necessitate thorough investigation. Our aim is to unite experts in solar, magnetospheric, and ionospheric & atmospheric physics to collectively comprehend the full implications of these events. We encourage the submission of abstracts that involve data analysis and coordinated observations, as well as theories and numerical simulations relevant to this topic. Additionally, we plan to organize one or more special issues in peer-reviewed journals to publish the scientific findings from this workshop.

The Workshop is scheduled to take place from October 28 to November 1, 2024, at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL). Further information regarding registration and abstract submission will be forthcoming.

For further information, contact Nour E. Raouafi (Nour.Rawafi at jhuapl.edu<mailto:Nour.Rawafi at jhuapl.edu>).

Current Members of the Science Organizing Committee

  *   Nour E. Rawafi
  *   Sarah Gibson
  *   Slava Merkin
  *   Larry Kepko