CEDAR email: 2023 HamSCI Workshop – Call for Abstracts

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D. nathaniel.frissell at scranton.edu
Thu Jan 5 07:17:02 MST 2023

Dear Space Science Community,
The 6th Annual HamSCI Workshop will be held March 17-18, 2023 in-person at The University of Scranton and virtually on Zoom. Abstract submission is now open, and I invite you to submit an abstract and join us for this exciting workshop! This workshop is also very student and citizen scientist friendly. The abstract submission form and more details are available at https://hamsci.org/hamsci2023.
The primary objective of the HamSCI workshop is to bring together the amateur radio community and professional scientists, and the theme of the 2023 HamSCI Workshop is “Forging Amateur-Professional Bonds”. While HamSCI’s main focus is ionospheric and radio science, we welcome presentations from all related parts of the Coupled Geospace System, including the sun, solar wind, magnetosphere, neutral atmosphere, and more.
This year, we have three invited speakers. Dr. Patricia Reiff, W5TAR, will be giving the keynote address, “Forging Amateur-Professional Bonds.” Dr. Joseph Huba will be giving the invited scientist tutorial, “Modeling the Ionosphere with SAMI3.” Mr. Jesse Alexander, WB2IFS, will be giving the invited amateur radio tutorial. This talk, “The Ham Radio Project: Exploring the Electromagnetic Spectrum,” is about an Amateur Radio Digital Communications (ARDC)-funded project at the National Radio Observatory (NRAO) to introduce people from underrepresented groups to Amateur Radio.
We are grateful to the National Science Foundation and ARDC for support of this workshop, and to NASA for Citizen Science funding of HamSCI projects. Travel support for this workshop is available through the NSF and ARDC grants based on programmatic and financial need. Please e-mail me at nathaniel.frissell at scranton.edu<mailto:nathaniel.frissell at scranton.edu> for more information.
Very 73 (Ham Radio for “Best Wishes”)
de Nathaniel W2NAF and the HamSCI Workshop 2023 Committee
Nathaniel A. Frissell, Ph.D., W2NAF
nathaniel.frissell at scranton.edu<mailto:nathaniel.frissell at scranton.edu>
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics and Engineering