CEDAR email: Session ST3.3 'The multi-scale ionosphere and its drivers' at the EGU General Assembly

a.wood.1 at bham.ac.uk a.wood.1 at bham.ac.uk
Thu Jan 5 00:19:41 MST 2023

Please could you circulate this message to the CEDAR email list? Thanks!

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to consider submitting an abstract to session ST3.3 The multi-scale ionosphere and its drivers to be held at the EGU General Assembly between 23-28 April 2023 in Vienna, Austria.

Abstract submission is at: https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU23/abstractsubmission/46346 and the deadline is 13:00 CET on Tuesday 10th January 2023.

ST3.3 The multi-scale ionosphere and its drivers

The ionosphere is a highly complex plasma containing electron density structures spanning a wide range of spatial and temporal scales. Large scale structures with horizontal extents of tens to hundreds of km exhibit variation with time of day, season, solar cycle, geomagnetic activity, solar wind conditions and location. Smaller scale structures can be seeded from these larger scale structures or can be driven directly. Collectively, these structures can be driven from above, enabling discoveries about the coupling of the near-space environment to the Earth's atmosphere. They can also be driven from below, enabling discoveries about vertical coupling within the atmosphere. The ionosphere is heavily influenced by neutral atmosphere in which it is embedded. The thermosphere can influence the ionosphere, and observations of the ionosphere can be used to infer properties of the thermosphere. We invite studies of the ionosphere and its drivers at any temporal or spatial scale. Contributions which span or compare multiple scale sizes are particularly welcome.

Thank you very much for your attention and we hope that you can join us in Vienna!

Best regards,

Alan Wood, Luca Spogli, Jaroslav Urbář, Yaqi Jin and Elizabeth Donegan-Lawley