CEDAR email: CEDAR-GEM Joint Workshop on Polar-Cap science

Gareth Perry gperry at njit.edu
Thu Jun 2 18:15:03 MDT 2022

Dear colleagues,

We cordially invite you to participate in the CEDAR-GEM Joint Workshop on Polar-Cap science (https://cedarscience.org/workshop/2022-workshop-polar-cap-science <https://cedarscience.org/workshop/2022-workshop-polar-cap-science>). A consensus has emerged from several different decadal survey white paper workshops organized by members of the CEDAR and GEM communities that many questions regarding the coupled magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere system in the polar-caps remain unsolved. Achieving science closure on these questions will require concerted cross-disciplinary efforts in observation (ground- and space-based) and modeling. Upcoming spacecraft missions such as TRACERS, GDC, and DYNAMIC will have a focus on the high-latitude and polar-cap regions and exemplify the strong investment that has been placed in studying the compelling nature of the polar-cap regions.

We are soliciting presentations on any topic to CEDAR-GEM science related to the polar-cap regions. We strongly encourage student participation. Student presentations will be prioritized. The joint session will facilitate collaboration with the GEM community and the GEM Interhemispheric Approaches to Understand M-I Coupling Focus Group. Hawaii (hosting GEM) and Texas (hosting CEDAR) will be linked via video conferencing such that both CEDAR and GEM attendees will be able to present their research.

Be well,

Gareth Perry
Lindsay Goodwin
Alex Chartier