CEDAR email: Metop-A Retirement and Upcoming “NGDC Satdat” URL Change

Kim Baugh - NOAA Affiliate kim.baugh at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 7 13:34:20 MDT 2021

Dear Colleague,

After 15 years of service to the earth and space weather operational and
research, and search & rescue communities, the Metop-A Low Earth Orbit
spacecraft is planned to be deorbited in November 2021 (
https://www.eumetsat.int/plans-metop-end-life). Standard Metop-A Space
Environment Monitor 2 (SEM-2) products from NCEI will end on Monday
November 15, 2021 corresponding to EUMETSAT’s end of mission plans. Two
SEM-2 related science tests are anticipated and we will work to make those
data public in the spring of 2022 pending their viability. For 2021 Metop-A
SEM-2 instrument suite products, see here:

https://satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov/sem/poes/data/processed/ngdc/uncorrected/full/2021/metop02/

Additionally, we will be transitioning "satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov" HTTPS URLs
from the NGDC to the NCEI domain and have plans to phase out FTP entirely
in favor of only supporting HTTPS, potentially by the end of this calendar
year. This change will affect URLs such as these that we have today:

https://satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov/sem/poes/

https://satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov/sem/goes/

https://satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov/dmsp/

With respect to HTTPS and data currently organized underneath "
satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov/" (e.g. GOES, POES, DMSP space weather), our
understanding today is that likely only the current root URL “
satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov/” will be replaced by a new root URL + new top-level
directory paths, leaving the underlying data structure for each sensor
consistent with what we have today. We will share an update on this topic
when available later this calendar year.

Best wishes,

Kim Baugh (Data Manager, primary POC)

--
Kimberly Baugh
Senior Associate Scientist

NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information
Kim.Baugh at noaa.gov
303-497-4452 (office)
303-819-2627 (cell)