CEDAR email: Resolute Bay ISR change in planned operations

Roger Varney roger.varney at sri.com
Mon Apr 12 12:32:59 MDT 2021

Dear Geospace Community,

We are announcing a significant change to the planned availability of science operations of the Resolute Bay Incoherent Scatter Radars, RISR-N and RISR-C. Due the failure of power generation equipment at the Resolute Bay Observatory, we are suspending all high-duty-cycle science operations from February 2021 until late 2021. We are currently working to install new power generation equipment at the Resolute Bay Observatory in fall 2021, and this new equipment will enable significantly more flexible and sustainable operations of both radars starting in late 2021. We are planning a major operations campaign during winter 2021-2022 utilizing the new equipment, and users curious about the new capabilities or with ideas for experiments during this campaign are encouraged to contact us. We are pursuing solutions that may allow for limited low-duty-cycle operations of RISR-N in summer 2021.

The repair and installation plans are subject to multiple contingencies, including those related to COVID-19 and associated travel restrictions, that may force delays beyond the scheduled dates. The AMISR Science Advisory Committee met in March 2021 to discuss and endorse this plan.

Sincerely,

Roger H. Varney

SRI International