CEDAR email: Save the Date for the 1st Center for Geospace Storms Workshop

Merkin, Viacheslav G. Slava.Merkin at jhuapl.edu
Tue Sep 22 06:56:24 MDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

The team of the Center for Geospace Storms (CGS), one of the NASA DRIVE Science Centers currently in Phase I, would like to bring to community’s attention the virtual workshop we are planning to hold on November 9-10, 2020. Please, mark your calendars!

The purpose of the workshop is to bring together experts, early career scientists and students in the fields of space and atmospheric sciences, for an open-forum discussion of outstanding issues in the physics of geospace storms, organized around specific topical sessions below. The workshop is planned as a sequence of scene-setting talks given by CGS team members and invited talks given by speakers from the larger community, with plenty of room for discussion between the talks and at the end of each day. We invite everyone in the community to join the workshop, listen to the talks and participate in the discussion.

We will send out a detailed schedule in the next couple of weeks. A registration page will also be set up (registration is of course free, this is done to protect Zoom and Slack information). Below is a list of sessions, scene setters and invited speakers.

Session 1. Ionosphere-Atmosphere Interactions
Stan Solomon (NCAR/HAO), scene-setting
Nick Pedatella (NCAR/HAO), invited
Larisa Goncharenko (MIT Haystack Observatory), invited

Session 2. Storm enhanced density, tongues of ionization, polar cap patches, and the geospace plume.
Bill Lotko (NCAR/HAO), scene-setting
Phil Erickson (MIT Haystack Observatory), invited
Ying Zou (Univ. of Alabama Huntsville), invited

Session 3. The role of mesoscale plasmasheet transport in the ring current build-up.
Matina Gkioulidou (JHU/APL), scene-setting
Jian Yang  (Southern University of Science and Technology, China), invited
Larry Kepko (NASA/GSFC), invited

Session 4. Synergy between first-principles models and data analytics.
Shin Ohtani (JHU/APL), scene-setting
Tomoko Matsuo (Colorado University), invited
Jacob Bortnik (UCLA), invited

Always feel free to send us your feedback here (cgs.jhuapl.edu/feedback) or simply email the PI at slava.merkin @ jhuapl.edu.

Slava Merkin on behalf of the CGS team.

[signature_986098663]