CEDAR email: 2021 CEDAR virtual workshop

Astrid Maute maute at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 19 21:22:54 MDT 2020

Dear CEDAR Community,

We are e-mailing to let you know that the upcoming Summer *2021 CEDAR
Meeting will be virtual*.  The decision was made after discussions with and
in concert with NSF and UCAR CPAESS, who holds the meeting support award.

Based on a survey of the CEDAR Science Steering Committee (CSSC) whose
members serve as representatives of the larger CEDAR community we found
that over 70% had concerns about the COVID situation in the US and the
potential (in)ability of many academics and students to plan for travel in
the spring of 2021 and to travel in the early summer of 2021.  We know this
is disappointing but we hope that our ability to allow virtual meeting
attendance at low (perhaps no-) cost and include broader international
collaboration will make the CEDAR workshop a success.

While we all remain hopeful there will be a COVID vaccine ready for
distribution by early 2021, there is significant uncertainty about its
efficacy and public availability.  We are making a decision to cancel the
in-person meeting to minimize the impact of hotel and meeting space
contract cancellation fee and to provide the CEDAR community more certainty
about the virtual format of the meeting, which will take place in mid-June
of 2021.

The CSSC will work with UCAR CPAESS to expand the types of 2021 virtual
meeting support, including workshop and poster support, to more closely
align with past in-person meetings.

The CSSC and CPAESS hope to begin providing information about format during
the first quarter of 2021.  If you have suggestions for a more successful
and inclusive meeting please feel free to email those to any CSSC member at
this link.

http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/Community:CSSC

Sincerely,

Delores J. Knipp CSSC Chair