CEDAR email: AGU Fall Meeting Session SM026 - Pulsating and Diffuse Aurora: a Critical Pathway in Magnetosphere-Ionosphere Coupling

Astrid Maute maute at ucar.edu
Fri Jul 24 12:11:36 MDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

We invite you to participate in our session at the 2020 AGU Fall Meeting on
pulsating and diffuse aurora, one of the manifestations of M-I coupling.

Session Title:
SM026 - Pulsating and Diffuse Aurora: a Critical Pathway in
Magnetosphere-Ionosphere Coupling

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm20/prelim.cgi/Session/103791

Session Description:
Pulsating aurora and other types of diffuse aurora can be long-lasting and
wide-spread, and therefore represent a large transfer of energy from the
magnetosphere system to the Earth’s ionosphere and atmosphere. These kinds
of aurora can be generated by plasma waves in the magnetosphere that
interact with particles, causing precipitation. Geomagnetic storms and
substorms appear to play a role in the intensity of diffuse auroras, and
atmospheric chemistry effects have been observed and modeled, implicating
pulsating aurora in middle atmosphere dynamics. The plethora of spacecraft
missions operating in the inner magnetosphere together with expanding
ground observations has initiated recent discoveries in this area. We
solicit new findings on pulsating/diffuse aurora that utilize combinations
of ground- and space-based assets and modeling efforts. This session aims
to showcase the importance of pulsating and diffuse aurora in the context
of M-I coupling, and bring together studies that can inform this bigger
picture.

Cheers,
Allison Jaynes, Sarah Jones, Emma Spanswick and Riley Troyer