CEDAR email: AGU Fall Session SA011: Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere Coupling during Storms and Substorms

Deng, Yue yuedeng at uta.edu
Mon Jul 20 14:29:02 MDT 2020

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to our session. Below please find the session description. The abstract deadline is 29 July 2020.

Session Title:
SA011. Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere Coupling during Storms and Substorms
Session Description:
Determining the effects of energy deposition and transport, and momentum exchange across different spatial and temporal scales during disturbed times such as storms and substorms is an important objective in the M-I-T system. Coupling over multiple scales is also a critical challenge since observational and modeling methodologies for bridging different scales do not presently exist. This session solicits presentations on a wide range of coupling processes in the M-I-T system from global to local processes. Relevant topics include (but are not limited to) (1) density structures and temperature gradients (polar cap, cusp, plume, trough, irregularities); (2) convection (flow channels, SAPS, penetration electric field) and FAC; (3) energy transfer and deposition by precipitation, conductivity, aurora, and heating; (4) inter-hemispheric processes and (5) coupling and feedback into the magnetosphere. Discussions of relevant multi-scale observations by means of multiple instruments, including space and ground-based, modeling and data science are encouraged.
Primary Section/Focus Group:
SPA-Aeronomy

Session Conveners:
Toshi Nishimura (Boston University)
Yue Deng (University of Texas Arlington)
Astrid Maute (NCAR/HAO)
Larry Lyons (University of California, Los Angeles)