CEDAR email: Job Adverts in Upper Atmosphere Modelling

Sean Elvidge s.elvidge at bham.ac.uk
Thu Jul 16 17:07:58 MDT 2020

The University of Birmingham, UK, is looking to recruit *three* Research
Fellows, each for 34 months, funded by the Space Weather
Instrumentation, Measurement, Modelling and Risk (SWIMMR) programme.

SWIMMR is a £20 million, three-year programme that will improve the UK's
capabilities for space weather monitoring and prediction with an
emphasis on space radiation, changes in the upper atmosphere and,
unwanted currents in power grids and other ground-level systems.

In the Space Environment group (SERENE
<https://birmingham.ac.uk/SpaceWeather>) at the University of
Birmingham, UK our work on SWIMMR is focused on improved modelling of
the ionosphere and thermosphere based around our physics-based data
assimilation model AENeAS.

We are seeking to appoint:

* Research Fellow focused on novel data assimilation techniques for
upper atmosphere models (https://bit.ly/swimmrDA)
* Research Fellow focused on modelling and geolocation of ionospheric
scintillation (https://bit.ly/swimmrScint)
* Research Fellow focused on improved thermospheric density modelling
for satellite orbit determination (https://bit.ly/swimmrDen)

The final models will be used by the UK Met Office to forecast the upper
atmosphere for aviation applications and orbit determination of
satellites in low Earth orbit.

Informal enquires to Sean Elvidge - S.Elvidge at bham.ac.uk
<mailto:S.Elvidge at bham.ac.uk>

--
*Dr. Sean Elvidge, PhD*
Lecturer in Space Environment

m:  +44 (0) 121 414 7724
e: s.elvidge at bham.ac.uk
seanelvidge.com <http://seanelvidge.com>

Due to restricted campus opening I am working flexibly at home. It may
take me longer to reply than usual.

The contents of this email may be privileged and confidential. It may
not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee, nor
copied in any way.  If received in error, please notify the sender then
delete it from your system.