CEDAR email: AGU Fall Session SA021 - Understanding the Behavior of the ITM at Solar Minimum

Tzu-Wei Fang - NOAA Affiliate tzu-wei.fang at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 9 13:18:34 MDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to our session. Below
please find the session description. The abstract deadline is 29 July 2020.

*Session Title:*

SA021. Understanding the Behavior of the Ionosphere-Thermosphere-Mesosphere
at Solar Minimum

*Session Description:*

The ionosphere-thermosphere-mesosphere (ITM) changes under solar minimum
and geomagnetically quiet conditions might seem to be less interesting than
those in solar maximum, but significant variability can still be observed
at all scales. Do we really understand the ITM even when it is not being
wildly driven by high latitude inputs? Is the variability driven by the
lower atmosphere or can high-latitude processes still produce global
effects? With ICON, GOLD and TIMED in orbit and the world-wide network of
ground-based observers and our ever-more sophisticated global models, we
should be able to expand our understanding. How big are the differences
between observations, models, and climatologies (e.g. MSIS, IRI, etc)? is
the ITM ever quiescent? How much of the variability is forcing from below?
How will do our models capture this variability? What does this tell us
about the predictability of the system?

*Primary Section/Focus Group:*

SPA-Aeronomy

*Invited Speakers:*

Eric Sutton (University of Colorado at Boulder)

Liying Qian (National Center for Atmospheric Research)

*Session Convenors:*

Larry Paxton (Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory)

Yue Deng (University of Texas Arlington)

Tzu-Wei Fang (University of Colorado at Boulder)

Huixin Liu (Kyushu University )

Best Regards,

Larry Paxton, Tzu-Wei Fang, Yue Deng, Huixin Liu