CEDAR email: AGU Session SM007 - Do Global Magnetic Fields Shield Planetary Atmospheres?

R. J. Strangeway strangeway at igpp.ucla.edu
Wed Jul 8 10:31:07 MDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the following session planned for the Fall 2020 AGU Meeting.

SM007 - Do Global Magnetic Fields Shield Planetary Atmospheres?

At present there is no strong consensus on whether a global planetary magnetic field shields a planet's atmosphere from being stripped away or modified through interactions with the Sun and solar wind. This question is increasingly important in an era when terrestrial exoplanets are being discovered in the Habitable Zones of stars more active than our Sun. This session will focus on recent research pertaining to the influence of planetary-scale magnetic fields on atmospheres, including ion outflow and escape, neutral escape processes, atmospheric chemistry, and charged particle radiation in atmospheres. We invite contributions from modelers, theoreticians, and observers studying Earth, unmagnetized terrestrial planets such as Venus or Mars, giant planets, and exoplanets. Contributions ranging from big picture ideas to detailed space physics and aeronomy are welcome.

Primary Convener
Dave A Brain, University of Colorado at Boulder

Conveners
William K Peterson, Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics
Kanako Seki, The University of Tokyo
Robert J Strangeway, Univ California

The session details description can be accessed at https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm20/prelim.cgi/Session/105046
This also provides a link to the Abstract Submission portal.